We created the #ThailandInsider Series to give you a different perspective, a true insider perspective in the Land of Smiles. Join us as we take you on a journey to see a side of Thailand that you may not have discovered before. Chumphon is one of Thailand’s hidden gems if you’re looking to get off-the-beaten-path. Not only is it home to some incredible snorkeling spots and island hopping, but you can delve into local culture and learn how to make batik, or indulge in all the delicious street food at the Chumphon Night Market.
In this Episode:
- Batik: Find batik in Ban Talae Nok is Muslim community which the livelihood of these Muslim depends on natural resources in the mangrove area with self-sufficiency basis. Apart from studying the mangrove eco-system, tourists will enjoy learning people’s way of life such as fishing on the fishing boat, diving to see coral reefs, cycling on the beach, learning to make your very own batik fabric as well as study on how to make herbal soap.
- Khao Matsee Viewpoint: Stunning views of Chumphon and surrounding areas. Best to visit in the afternoon have a coffee and cake from the coffee shop and sit back and watch the sun go down.
- Koh Ngam Yai and Koh Ngam Noi: Beautiful islands about an hour from Chumphon. Entirely rock and although no beach, there is great snorkeling and diving to be had.h They have a healthy and well preserved reef thanks to its status as national park and bird nest area.
- Koh Mattra: Koh Mattra is one of the shallow water corals and home to beautiful sea anemone. It is different from other islands is that it is a breeding center for giant clams. Travelers can enjoy diving as well as resting on the island. Koh Mattra is abundant with fish around the island because of the underwater reefs. Travelers can hire fishing roads from restaurants and Uncle Khao for a fishing sport.
- Chumphon Night Market: The Chumphon night market is located in the central area of town, not far from the train station. There is a large number of street stalls which offer a variety of Thai foods and seafood, fruits, juices and shakes among other things. It is a good place to explore on foot. Try a new Thai snack, pick up a pizza or enjoy a coffee at one of the many shops and street outlets.
Ready to visit Chumphon?
Browse our selection of special travel offers, packages, hotel discounts, and more!
Win a trip to Thailand!
Are you the #NextThailandInsider? If you’ve been to Thailand before, learn how you can enter to win a trip back to Thailand!